Addiction and substance abuse is a problem for many people which affects all of us. Buddhism offers a similar approach to the AA 12 step programs, using meditation and the dharma to lead people to recovery.
We know the following groups in the area that can be of help
- Refuge Recovery is a non-profit organization grounded in the belief that Buddhist principles and practices create a strong foundation for a path to freedom from addiction. They have meetings in NY and NJ as well as online and around the country.
- Philadelphia Meditation Center – Meditation and Recovery.
- Ongoing Weekly Meeting on Wednesday evenings Doors open at 7 pm Meeting starts at 7:30 pm — scroll down on their website for zoom info and/or contact Greg Ardire at 908-303-8659 by phone or text.
- Using the booklet “9 Essays: Buddhism and the 12th Step Model of Recovery” made available to us by the generosity of the San Francisco Zen Center, this group will be exploring the connection between practice and recovery. Our mission is to bridge the Twelve Steps of AA and the four Noble Truths of Buddhism. The meeting will include a 20 minute silent meditation sit, a reading from the “9 Essays”, and an open discussion in the format of an AA meeting. We will be adhering to the AA traditions (which include anonymity and confidentiality). Creating a supportive community is an opportunity to strengthen our commitment to daily practice.
- Click for a PDF file https://www.scribd.com/document/294099550/Buddhism-12steps#
- For questions contact:
- Alicia 610-322-7851 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- William (610)608-4499 Email: email@example.com
- https://mindfulnessbasedrecovery.com/ – Workshops in Frenchtown NJ
Other resources for recovery
- Overcome Addiction (New Edition) (Paperback) – Valerie Mason-John (Vimalasara) Dr. Paramabandhu Groves
- This new, expanded edition includes a Foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn, a guide to running an Eight Step Recovery meeting, and how to teach a Mindfulness Based Addiction Recovery (MBAR) programme, including teacher’s notes and handouts.